“A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic,” -Carl Sagan
The article below outlines some concepts we have discussed, in an up-to-date form.
Blending text and interactive media
- Are “processed books” more like Applications than Books? If yes, then where do we begin to differentiate between gaming and reading. If no, then what distinguishes an app from a book. IS IT ALL JUST ANOTHER FORM OF LEARNING?
Ans. Gamification is the use of game thinking and game mechanics in non-game contexts to engage users in solving problems. Gamification is applied to improve user engagement, return on investment, data quality, timeliness, and learning. (from Wikipedia)
- Gamification techniques strive to leverage people’s natural desires for competition, achievement, status, self-expression, altruism, and closure.
- A core gamification strategy is rewards for players who accomplish desired tasks. Types of rewards include points, achievement badges or levels, the filling of a progress bar, and providing the user with virtual currency.
- Competition is another element of games that can be used in gamification. Making the rewards for accomplishing tasks visible to other players or providing leader boards are ways of encouraging players to compete.
- Another approach to gamification is to make existing tasks feel more like games. Some techniques used in this approach include adding meaningful choice, onboarding with a tutorial, increasing challenge, and adding narrative.
Getting back the public domain: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111010/09554316284/fighting-back-against-public-domain-erosion-growing-commons.shtml
<div style=”margin-bottom:5px”> <strong> <a href=”https://www.slideshare.net/oreillymedia/the-twitter-book-a-sneak-preview” title=”The Twitter Book – A Sneak Preview” target=”_blank”>The Twitter Book – A Sneak Preview</a> </strong> from <strong><a href=”http://www.slideshare.net/oreillymedia” target=”_blank”>O’Reilly Media</a></strong> </div>
Below is Drucker, so it’s dry. But starting at ten minutes, we are presented with very relevant information on the changing book.